Have you ever looked at personal/family blogs and wondered how these moms find so much time to have fun with their family? And then they write posts about it and share fabulous pictures on top of everything? It seems things just fall into the right places for them and you need need a full time nanny, a housekeeper, a cook and a photographer to capture all these beautiful moments of life.
So, this post if for you moms who are busy and tired and yet want to make and keep memories before time flies. Who are the busy moms? They are the moms who work outside home and the moms who work at home and barely have time for fun- between working, homekeeping, helping with homework and other myriad of responsibilities.
Here are ways to make memories with your kids and family.
Make Having Fun a Priority-
Make having fun a priority, Yes, we have lots of responsibilities as a mom but having a good time must be a priority so when we have good memories to fall back on. Now put it on the list of important things to do to make good things happen.
In a perfect world things just fall into place and you make a scrapbook full of pictures of all the wonderful places where you went with your family, In reality though you must make time for it. If you just wait for it to magically happen, or wish someone else would take the initiative, that day may never come and you will be left with many unfulfilled wishes. So add it to your calendar or phone to remind yourself.
Make it Happen-
“She believed she could, and she did”- believe in your dreams and start making plan for it. It doesn’t have to be something extravagant or a place in a remote island to be memorable. Plan it based on your family and your reality, on what you’re able to do and what you can afford now. Don’t compare with others as it will only steal your joy and it’s a trick from shaitan to make you feel discontent. Keep things simple and wonderful.
Create Planned Memories-
If you’re too tired to come up with a fun plan, you’re not alone. A tired mommy brain can totally do that to you. Here are few ideas for you ( I am sure you’re doing some of them already)-
- Pray at least 1 salah together at home.
- Set the table for dinner
- Read together after dinner
- Read for bedtime
- Take pictures on a certain day every week, add to your phone to remind you.
- Go to the library
- Listen to your favorite scholar
- Cook or bake something.
- Go to a nearby park
- Work on a jigsaw puzzle
- Sneak a note to someone you love (in turns)
- Take a day trip
- Make something with your husband or kids, take a pottery class or a drawing class together.
- Go for hiking or biking.
- Watch a movie at home
- Clean the backyard and then make lemonade to cool off.
- Volunteer together at the masjid or a soup kitchen.
- Go for camping
- Take a trip
- Decorate your home for the season
Have Impromptu Fun-
Relax type A moms, it will be alright and you will have fun with these unplanned fun ideas insha Allah-
- Drop by while their playing and just play with them (ditch the urge to organize and fold things)
- Read their favorite book (for the 14th time)
- Play hide and seek or tag (good exercise too)
- Play board-games
- Cuddle together and be silly
- play salon ( Try no to fall asleep 😉
- Get a thoughtful gift
Create Your Own Eid Traditions-
Create your very own Eid traditions.with your kids (and your husband). Kids learn to look forward to Eid when you make it special for them by doing something with them-
- Make handmade Eid decorations.
- Hang lanterns
- Bake Eid cookies or cakes
- Decorate your home with special decorations
- Go shopping together
- Make Eid gifts for each other
- Make Eid cards together
Keep Track of all the Fun-
When you’re a busy mom it’s not easy to keep track of all the memorable moments that you have been blessed with. But you do want something to look at later without having to spend a lot of time after it. Here is what you can do when you don’t have much time-
- Bullet journal- Bullet journaling is a snapshot of your days. It’s a summary of your productivity throughout the day when you don’t have time to journal at the end of the day. All you need is a notebook and a pen and a few mindful minutes to jot down 3-5 memorable moments of the day.You can even keep 2 notebooks, one in your car and one in your home. Plan to do it with a trigger, like write just before going to bed or right after you have your morning coffee.
- Calendar journal- This is like bullet journaling but you do it on a calendar. I stick a calendar on my fridge and add tidbits of blessed moments at the end of the day. At the end of the month, I have 30 days of wonderful things to remember and to be grateful about my life. You can include anything really, from the first book your kid read to the first tooth she lost. Be mindful to add only positive experiences. Steer clear from the negativity of the shaitan.
- Take pictures- Use your phone to remind you to take pictures on a certain day of the week. You can use them later to make a photo book.
- Kids artworks- Organize and save your kids artwork and display them in your home.
- Make photo books every year.
I hope you can use some of the tips here to have fun and keep the memories insha Allah. Do you a little bit at a time so you don’t feel overwhelmed. Take small and consistent steps to keep memories insha Allah.